I truly hope Austin Collie comes back for his senior year. I would really like to see him at full health just dominate. Right now, he has to be in the discussion of best receivers in BYU history, but I can't help but think it wouldn't be much of a discussion if he could just be totally healthy. Austin normally runs very crisp routes and he is very smooth with above average speed. He also has good size for a receiver with good strength and feistiness. You can also add good vision and ability to run after the catch. The thing that just seems to be missing is the explosion that was seen as a freshman and at times last year. I have to think that is a product of the pre-season injury. It would be so fun to see him operate at full throttle but can anyone really complain about the AC that we do get week to week.
Michael Reed may go down as possibly the most underrated receiver in BYU history. I think he is one of the best blocking receivers we have ever had and he is a fabulous possession receiver. He runs great routes. He uses his body well to block out DBs and he has really improved his after catch running ability this year. He has decent speed but is not a huge deep threat which is probably the big reason he is underappreciated. That said, he has typically made a couple of big plays downfield each year too. I think his value was really on display against Wyoming as he was out with the injury. The offensive balance was missing and it was very noticeable. Hopefully, he can heal quickly and be back for TCU and not show a considerable amount of rust.
I'm still trying to figure out why Luke Ashworth has not used a redshirt year yet. When I watch him play, I see potential to be an above average receiver but, to this point, he just doesn't seem to be great at getting open and Max doesn't seem to look to him often. It just seems kind of weird that a guy with so little production still has his redshirt year to use.
I really like what I have seen from Spencer Hafoka in his brief playing time. He has a receiver body and seems to have a good burst. I'm anticipating that he will really blossom next year when he gets rid of the missionary legs and Michael Reed is gone.
I really hope O'Neill Chambers can mentally conquer his responsibilities because physically, he is incredibly gifted. To this point, he shows his youth and lack of maturity but I'm convinced that if he matures, he may become Collie like or better. I really love his aggressiveness. I think he will be a supreme blocker and we can already tell he has good running ability with the ball. I love how he uses his hands to catch the ball. Right now, he just has to get the offense down and show that he can run precise routes and not get too amped up and get penalties. I think he will do this. Of course, if not, he will likely transfer but I think he gets along well with Bronco and he will become one of the leaders of the team by the time he leaves.
It is easy to see why Reed White and Tyler Koslowski are walk-on receivers as they don't have the typical physical characteristics. That said, I have been impressed by both of them. They run good routes and know how to get open in seams of the defense. You can tell both have worked their tails off and that is impressive since both are sons of NFL players and could have easily felt entitled.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Wide Receivers
Posted by Justin Miller at 11:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment