It is nice to have Russell Tialavea back. I think he is still shaking some rust off from being out last year but he definitely has all of the skills required to be the 1st line of defense. I don't know that he has lived up to the pre-season hype so far but I think that hype was unjustified for a NT coming of knee surgery. Tialavea has the strength to require double teams on running plays and as a bonus he has good quicks to actually penetrate the backfield and make plays. He hasn't made a lot of big plays yet but I suspect that by the end of the year he will be come a monster and play a lot like he did against Oregon in '06.
Mosese Foketi has improved a lot since early '07. Early last year, he seemed to be on roller skates when teams would run up the middle. He has become a lot more stout in the middle now. That said, power running teams will be sure to attack him when he is in as he just isn't big enough to be entrenched like a big tree trunk. Foketi is good at getting penetration when he is called upon to do that and is the most likely NT we have to pressure the QB on 1st down and 2nd and short to go.
Rick Wolfley is a big boy. It doesn't look to me like he is any quicker than last year but he does seem to be more confident and decisive when he plays. He is a nonfactor as a pass rusher unless the QB happens to run right into his arms but he is easily the best option we have in short yardage situations. As long as he stays low, he won't be moved. BYU has great options behind Russell T. because Wolfley is great against the run and Foketi is good against the pass. If you could somehow combine the 2 you would have a top 5 NFL pick someday.
Tevita Hola has only played a little bit. Not enough to really have an opinion really. He does look a little out of shape and I imagine that is why he is running 4th.
Overall, I think the DL has been solid this year. That is a little disappointing to me since they were supposed to be the unit to carry the defense and I don't think they have played up to their potential yet. I do, however, believe that they are on the verge of becoming a dominant unit and I look for big things the rest of the year.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Defensive Tackles
Posted by Justin Miller at 9:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment