Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Offensive Line

Dallas Reynolds is one of the best Centers in the nation. That is an amazing fact considering he has only played the position for a month. With the exception of a few low shotgun snaps, it is hard to find any fault with his performance through 4 games. He has been outstanding in pass protection and usually can be found moving the entire defensive line one way or the other on running plays. His incredible versatility should make him a very attractive player to the NFL. I would be disappointed if he isn't taken on the 1st day next April. IMO he should go in the 1st round.

Rey Feinga has been the closest thing to a disappointment on our OL and that is only because he has been hampered by injury a little bit. Every team should be so lucky to have that kind of "disappointment". Feinga can be completely dominant and there have been times when he has looked "merely way above average". Feinga has the type of talent that could have John Madden raving about him for the next 15 years.

Travis Bright has been the best OL on the team so far this year, IMO, and that is saying something. What makes it even more impressive is that he is coming off a severe leg injury that could have kept him out this year. Bright's strength is often evident as he drives opponents down the field. When you combine his nasty streak, it becomes a lethal combination. I'm guessing that Bright will fall in the draft because of his injuries but he will be a steal for someone later in the draft and should start for most of the 2010s.

David Oswald has been the biggest surprise for me. Last year, I thought R.J. Willing often outperformed him. This year, Oswald has been so good, that Willing is never needed. Oswald doesn't have the raw talent that the other 4 starters have but he is so sound and that has allowed him to become a way above average right tackle. I actually think he has a chance to make the NFL now too and make it so all 5 of our current starters are in the league.

Matt Reynolds has a chance to pass John Tait as the best OT I have seen pass through the program. His performance this year has been supreme. With the exception of the one gaffe against UNI, he hasn't been beaten at all in pass protection. That is amazing for a 5th year senior, yet alone a RS Freshman. It was a risky move to allow Max Hall's blind side fall in the hands of the younger Reynolds but it looks like that move may have been a stroke of genius.

R.J. Willing has seen the reps of backup Center. I would guess 80% of the country would be starting a player as good as R.J. Willing. He may be one of the best 10 OL in the conference and he can't start for us. I truly hope he has a huge year next year because I think he has NFL talent.

Garrett Reden has come back from his injury well. He is smaller than most BYU linemen but he is still very effective. I have to think that he is also a very hard worker and very smart to be so high in the OL rotation given the incredible talent in the program.

Jason Speredon has to be one of the most talented backup OGs in the country. He was a little undersized last year but that isn't a problem now. He has great athleticism and should be outstanding next year taking over for Bright.

Jesse Taufi needs a big year next year too. I think he has it in him. I'm just not sure where he will play yet. What a great situation to wonder where to find such a talent actual time on the field.

Nick Alletto is one of my favorites. A lot of that is because he is from my stake but he is also a very good, talented player. I think he is more talented than Oswald but is young and there is no rush for him to play yet. He very well may be the guy that protects Riley Nelson's backside in the future and I think he will be stellar at doing the job.

This OL is amazing. They do lose 4 guys but I can already see a deep, talented line next year even when the 4 seniors depart. People always point to the lack of depth in non-BCS teams. That always bugs me but especially in this case. I think almost every team in the country would die for the OL depth that BYU has.

0 comments: