Harvey Unga is a perfect fit for our offense. He is a very effective runner with great vision, power, desire and quick feet. He doesn't have breakaway speed although he is faster than he looks. The thing that puts him over the top is his ability to catch the ball. He has such soft hands and has the ability to catch while moving so he can get YAC. I know some people don't think Harvey will have an impact in the NFL but I disagree. I remember Lorenzo Neal being a great tailback at Fresno St. and then became a great fullback. I also watch Le'Ron McClain at Baltimore run. I think Harvey could be utilized as either player in the NFL and be very effective for a long time.
Fui Vakapuna's career hasn't gone the way most thought it would but he is still a very vital cog in the BYU offensive machine. Fui doesn't have the quickness he used to have but he is much bigger and has become a devastating blocker. Fui still has decent feet for a RB but he has still has a big problem. He wants to bounce every run outside and he doesn't have the speed to do it consistently. It is too bad he can't seem to understand his strength is finding safeties and cornerbacks in the secondary and making them hurt severely for trying to tackle him. Fui has improved in his pass catching abilities but I doubt it will be used a lot as he still isn't anywhere near the level of Manase Tonga as a receiver.
Wayne Latu showes occasional glimpses of greatness. He has decent size and good speed. I don't think he has the greatest vision in the world but he is a threat to pop a big play. I would hope he can step up and play a little bit more over the next few weeks so that Harvey can be fresh at the end of the year.
J.J. Diluigi is a victim of his own hype. He has had such high expectations that it seems as if he has been very disappointing. I think he will be fine as he gets more reps. He is easily the most elusive of our backs. I think he will start to shine as he sees success and his confidence grows.
Brian Karyia is a great luxury. A walk-on with some ability. I look for him to end up playing a role as a 3rd down FB as his career goes on. I also think he will get occasional carries and receptions like Joe Semanoff but he has more ability to make a play than Semanoff did.
I have already talked about Pritchard and Friel earlier so I won't rehash that here.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Running Backs
Posted by Justin Miller at 9:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment